Thursday, November 13, 2008

The eve before...

The time is 7:13PM. The Choral Scholars should arrive in about 15 minutes. Brittany is picking me up tomorrow morning at 8:45AM for the airport. And my room looks like this:




Dah.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure everything I need is in that room somewhere.

All said, welcome to my African blog. Honestly, I never imagined writing a blog. I'm terrible at keeping up. Much less a blog about going to Africa. But here I am, posting pictures of my room on the night before I leave. It's sure to be an adventure and I'd love to take my friends and family along, as much as possible, for the brief trip.

Tomorrow I will be boarding a number of planes that will bring me to Rwanda. I will be working with three other colleagues on gathering stories and images for our next documentary on poverty. I will be gone for one solid week, returning the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I'm sure this will have an affect on my thankfulness.

Time to sing! I love you all. Your prayers are appreciated.

8 comments:

Brittany said...

yay africa blog!!!!!

and yay for being the first commenter!!!

I have to admit, I have butterflies in my tummy and i keep saying, "My bff is going to Rwanda tomorrow..."

love the pics of your room.
I hope that you fall in love with blogging so much during this trip that you decide to keep it up. ha!

see you in the morning.
Brittany

Unknown said...

what a hot-looking wall color. shoot. whoever painted that must be a pro ;)

keep safe and well, and I look forward to seeing you as soon as you get back ... so you better make sure that happens ;)

blessings,
bg

Anna said...

I love you. Have a fantastic time making the world feel a little smaller. I feel weird sharing you with these other people, and you know how much i love leaving little notes like this... ick. I miss you already from last week.oh and dont get malaria, take the pills. <3 g chat heart!

Marc said...

make sure you take some shots of the airports and planes for me.

It's the least you could do for your old pal marc, right?

And jot down the registration numbers from your planes!!!

Marc said...

PS "chasing africa" is a killer blog name. You're already a superior blogger to me.

Oh, and the word verification on this comment is "flarst." I'm going to start a band and name it that.

Karen said...

WOW! Can't believe you are on your way. Be safe. Have fun. Write often. Breathe:) It is lonely without you - completely empty at our end of the cubicles:(

Love ya,
Karen

Alex Blanski said...

"Collecting stories"?

Sounds like a fun objective,

especially for YOU

;)

Karen said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I admit I am anxious to hear about the helicopter ride - don't fall out taking pictures! Thanks for keeping us posted - it is great to have a day-to-day update. God bless, Karen