Friday, November 21, 2008

48 hours left

Today was quite a bit more relaxed than yesterday. It could have been because we allowed ourselves the luxury of sleeping in until 7:30. However, I feel like that really started to mess with my body rather than make me feel more rested. I guess I've never really gotten used to the time change. I also feel like I might have a slight cold coming on.

We left the hotel right around 9 to drive north and visit Bishop John, the Anglican bishop of Rwanda. We picked up our new friend and contact, Tom Allen, to join us for the trip. During the hour and a half drive we stopped a few times for the views.

Rwanda has always been hilly, but on this drive we entered the mountains. Everything is so lush - I have never been anywhere more beautiful. It's like a tropical island without the water or the beaches.


And every time we stopped, we quickly met new friends:

And stop number two:

More friends:

And finally we made it to see Bishop John:

And made some more friends:

I also learned a new phrase. I'm about 80% sure it is acagbga beza (beautiful girls).

Bishop John was wonderful. He gave us such a fantastic interview. He's a great man who not only built his church up from a run down old building, he's also started a full school (grade school, high school, and college) for orphans.

And as I said, the scenery there was just amazing. We were only about 20 minutes away from the gorilla park. Stupid camera expenses.


I think I enhance the volcano behind me.

It got quite dark on the way back and so we stopped for a minute to look at the stars. It was another blessing. The people of Rwanda, while there are many things they need and want for, have an abundance of beauty around them. It is incredible.

I'm off to bed. We leave for the helicopter at 6AM. No more sleeping in. Wish us luck!

Love.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Dear girl--

What an amazing day you had. Oh my goodness, that scenery and those children are beautiful. And seriously, maybe I'm just PMSing but that picture of you with the volcano made me cry. Praying that you have another wonderful day tomorrow. I cannot wait to see you again on Sunday. I cannot wait to hear all of your stories about Rwanda and its people.

Thanks for being the Anne Shirley to my Diana.

Loves,
Brittany

Daniel said...

Like the t-shirt :)